Kepner Funeral Homes has been serving the Wheeling area for over 165 years, making it the oldest funeral business in the region. Six generations, including five generations of Kepners, have provided dedicated service to our local community.
In 1845, George Mendel established a furniture and funeral business in Wheeling, WV. In 1902, he separated his industries and moved the funeral business to 1147 Main Street in downtown Wheeling, along with hiring Carl J. Kepner as an associate. Five years later, a larger facility was needed, and Mr. Mendel and Mr. Kepner constructed a spacious building at 1212 Chapline Street.
After George Mendel's death, Carl J. Kepner bought the remaining interest in the company. He expanded the business again in 1920 by purchasing the Spiedel Home at 1308 Chapline Street. Wade H. Kepner joined his father in the firm in 1923, changing the name to Carl J. Kepner and Son; in 1925, the business became known as the Kepner Funeral Home, and added locations in South Wheeling and Elm Grove a few years later.
The Woodsdale location was opened in 1955, and John W. Kepner joined his father in the company in 1956. His sons, John D. and James B. Kepner, joined the firm in 1981. In 1995, Kepner acquired the Burke-Bodey Funeral Home in Warwood. In 2011 we made our most recent acquisition. We acquired Raymer Funeral Home in Huntersville, North Carolina in April 2011, making this our sixth location.
Today, the Kepner Funeral Homes continue to provide caring funeral service to the people of the Wheeling area under the direction of Co-Presidents John D. and James B. Kepner, who bought the business from their father in January 2010. Their sons, Jonathan and Alex, will represent the fifth generation of Kepners in the business.